Transitioning wealth to the next generation is an important task for many families who turn to Les Scholly for assistance. Les concentrates his expertise on the multiple facets of life planning and estate administration.
Les takes time to listen carefully to his clients in order to help them identify goals for their estate and create plans that manage risk and preserve wealth. He serves clients who have complex family dynamics or complex financial situations, such as blended families, farm families where some children are involved in the business and some are not, or parents who want to treat their children fairly, but not necessarily the same in their estate plan.
Les is deeply committed to continuing legal education in estate planning to ensure he offers his clients the best leading-edge advice. He brings together accountants, financial planners, business valuators, and family law experts when estate or business success plans require a team approach. Les’ background in court helps him design estate plans that reduce the risk of court challenges. A skilled negotiator and mediator, Les empowers his clients to participate fully in creating a plan that will successfully transfer their wealth.
Les’ practice covers the areas of life planning (including wills and personal directives), estate administration, business law and agri-business law as they pertain to estate planning. Admitted to the Bar of the Law Society of Alberta in 1994, Les joined Pritchard and Company LLP as an associate in 2005 and became a partner in 2007.
JD from the University of Alberta
BComm from the University of Calgary
1986-1990, University of Calgary
1990-1993, University of Alberta
Advanced Training in Collaborative Law
Advanced Training in Interest Based Negotiation
Mediation Certificate – Legal Education Society of Alberta
Professional Activities and Memberships
- Member of Law Society of Alberta
- Student Member of Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Member of Canadian Bar Association
- Member of Medicine Hat & Brooks Bar Association
- 2008 Presenter at Legal Education Society of Alberta seminar – 10 Things I Wish I Knew About Estate Issues
- 2007 Presenter at Legal Education Society of Alberta seminar – Should Probate Be Avoided?
- Member of International Association of Collaborative Professionals (IACP)
- Member of Association of Collaborative Professionals, Medicine Hat
- Member of Medicine Hat Network of Business Professionals
- Member and Judicial District Representative – Alberta Civil Trial Lawyers Association (ACTLA)
- Past Chair and Board member of REDI Enterprises Society
- Past Instructor, Medicine Hat College, Faculty of Business, Business Law
- Past Medicine Hat Law Day Committee
- Past Instructor: Parenting after Separation Seminar (PASS)
- Past Agent for the Attorney General of Alberta responsible for Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Orders in Medicine Hat
- Director and Member of Medicine Hat Sunrise Rotary Club
- Regular public speaking in Medicine Hat & area on Wills and Estates Topics
- Legal Brief Column writer for the Medicine Hat News
- Legal Brief Column writer for the Brooks Bulletin
- Volunteer at Connaught School
- Past Coach for Medicine Hat Soccer Association